Wednesday, November 19, 2003
I'm an idiot. . .or am I a cleverly hidden genius???
My supervisor came in this afternoon to make sure I was still teaching and the kids were still learning. I did a review lesson with my sophomores today in preparation for their test tomorrow. . .overall it was a great review. Definitely had a Vikki moment though - here is what happened:
I was reviewing DNA with the kids, and making the point that adenine always bonds to thymine and cytosine always bonds to guanine. To drive the point home, I asked the kids to help me bond across a molecule of DNA - they gave me all the right answers, A to T, C to G, all the way down the molecule. I paused for a moment before the last base-pair, and spoke these words:
"Ok, so here I've got T and A, what's next?"
Whoa - not a good phrase to utter in a room full of sophomores OR in a room where your supervisor is watching your every move. Thankfully, only one student caught the verbal blunder and my supervisor was talking to Mrs. C. Looks like I can keep my day job teaching the kiddies.
Marry the man today. . .
In true to NBC form, "Ed" had the Thanksgiving episode one full week before the actual holiday, complete with a proposal to one Miss Carol Vessey. I've got to say that I liked the episode a lot - especially Mike and his dad - CLASSIC. Mike is climbing the charts in my book - if "Ed" gets canned come May, NBC should give Mike and Nancy their own spinoff.
But back to the subject at hand: Ed and Carol are now engaged. I really liked the proposal, and I'm getting used to Ed and Carol again. She was better in this episode than she has been in a while. . .but I still think the move to NYC is the kiss of death for a great show.
And of course, to stay true to form, I have to let my cynical side cast a dark shadow over Ed and Carol's happy moment of engagement: Carol, lest we forget, has been here before. Dennis, anyone? So Carol, is the proposal as good the second time around, and will you actually get married this time? Considering her first marriage never happened because of her love for Ed, I think this one's going to last. Ok NBC, now all you have to do is tie a nice little bow on this Hollywood ending package that has become "Ed" and start running the commercials for Mike and Nancy's spinoff.
My supervisor came in this afternoon to make sure I was still teaching and the kids were still learning. I did a review lesson with my sophomores today in preparation for their test tomorrow. . .overall it was a great review. Definitely had a Vikki moment though - here is what happened:
I was reviewing DNA with the kids, and making the point that adenine always bonds to thymine and cytosine always bonds to guanine. To drive the point home, I asked the kids to help me bond across a molecule of DNA - they gave me all the right answers, A to T, C to G, all the way down the molecule. I paused for a moment before the last base-pair, and spoke these words:
"Ok, so here I've got T and A, what's next?"
Whoa - not a good phrase to utter in a room full of sophomores OR in a room where your supervisor is watching your every move. Thankfully, only one student caught the verbal blunder and my supervisor was talking to Mrs. C. Looks like I can keep my day job teaching the kiddies.
Marry the man today. . .
In true to NBC form, "Ed" had the Thanksgiving episode one full week before the actual holiday, complete with a proposal to one Miss Carol Vessey. I've got to say that I liked the episode a lot - especially Mike and his dad - CLASSIC. Mike is climbing the charts in my book - if "Ed" gets canned come May, NBC should give Mike and Nancy their own spinoff.
But back to the subject at hand: Ed and Carol are now engaged. I really liked the proposal, and I'm getting used to Ed and Carol again. She was better in this episode than she has been in a while. . .but I still think the move to NYC is the kiss of death for a great show.
And of course, to stay true to form, I have to let my cynical side cast a dark shadow over Ed and Carol's happy moment of engagement: Carol, lest we forget, has been here before. Dennis, anyone? So Carol, is the proposal as good the second time around, and will you actually get married this time? Considering her first marriage never happened because of her love for Ed, I think this one's going to last. Ok NBC, now all you have to do is tie a nice little bow on this Hollywood ending package that has become "Ed" and start running the commercials for Mike and Nancy's spinoff.
Comments:
Post a Comment
